Walker case delayed until March

santabarbaracourthouse

Santa Barbara Courthouse

Another delay in the case of Joe Walker of Mammoth Lakes involving alleged sex crimes against a Santa Barbara teenager.

According to the Santa Barbara District Attorney’s Office, Walker’s hearing  on Friday was moved to March 9. Court officials expect to set a preliminary hearing date when they meet for that hearing in March.

Walker faces charges of illegally contacting a child with the intent to commit a sex crime on six different occasions.  He is also accused of committing a lewd act on a child.

According to Noozhawk.com, a Santa Barbara news outlet, the Santa Barbara DA’s office is expected to soon file an amended complaint that eliminates Dr. Andrew Bourne from this case and possibly adds more counts against Walker.  Santa Barbara DA Joyce Dudley told Sierra Wave she is waiting on Bourne’s death certificate.  When we spoke with her last week, DA Dudley said her office is “still considering” additional charges against Walker.

Reports in Santa Barbara and Mammoth Lakes have stated that Walker and Bourne owned part-time homes in Santa Barbara and were friends of the alleged victim’s family.

Santa Barbara Police had said at the time of the arrest of Walker and Bourne that the victim’s parents had found suspicious emails.  Police began an investigation in September of 2011 and made their arrests January 4th.

, , , ,

4 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Mammoth Resident
Mammoth Resident
10 years ago

Ok am i the only cynic here? , am i the only one that feels that the DA is reserving the right to dismiss charges pending a authentic Death certificate. This may be a legal requirement however it seems a bit strange. If the death was a scam I would… Read more »

Benett Kessler
Benett Kessler
10 years ago

Possession of a death certificate is most probably a requirement in the system and nothing more.
Benett Kessler

Mammoth Resident
Mammoth Resident
10 years ago
Reply to  Benett Kessler

That is most likely a viable excuse. it is just silly. in my opinion.

Wayne Deja
Wayne Deja
10 years ago

I will be willing to bet anyone this case will not see a courtroom trial with a seated jury before the year 2014..at the earliest.There is gonna be delay,delay,delay,then a change of venue,then more delays brought on by the defense…