Mammoth Lakes, CA – Beginning Tuesday, March 1, 2016, Ordinance No. 15-06 goes into effect that prohibits the use of single-use carryout bags in the Town of Mammoth Lakes.
Town Council’s action will reduce negative impacts on the environment, including reducing
the use of natural resources and energy; reducing greenhouse gas emissions; and helping
to eliminate waste in landfills, roadside litter, and pollution to lakes, streams, and soils.
Most importantly it will contribute to a cleaner and more welcoming Town of Mammoth
When the plastic bag ban goes into effect, consumers will be affected in the following ways:
▪ Retail establishments will no longer be able to utilize plastic, single-use bags.
▪ Customers may purchase paper bags for a minimum of 10 cents each.
▪ Customers may purchase or bring their own reusable bags.
▪ Restaurants are exempt and may still use plastic bags for take away orders.
▪ Some other exemptions exist, such as plastic bags used for produce and meats.
The Town of Mammoth Lakes will work with local businesses, including the Chamber of Commerce, to assist in the progressive elimination of plastic, single-use bags in our
If you have questions about the plastic bag ban, please visit
www.townofmammothlakes.ca.gov to review Ordinance No. 15-06, or contact Pam
Kobylarz, Assistant to the Town Manager, at (760) 934-8989 ext. 223 or