Press Release from Inyo County – March 19, 2020              

In light of the serious threat to public health posed by the worldwide outbreak of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), the County of Inyo is implementing emergency measures at County operated campgrounds and other County facilities. These measures include restricting walk-in services at some offices and full closures of other facilities. The County does not take these measures lightly and is basing these decisions on guidance from the Federal government, guidance from the California Department of Public Health, and guidance and executive orders from Governor Gavin Newsom in consultation with the Inyo County Public Health Officer.

The closures and restrictions below are designed to protect our employees and the public at large while continuing to provide for the community’s needs. As we all know by now, this situation is extremely fluid and changes rapidly. We expect to see additional restrictions in the days to come and will advise the public as they occur.

Effective immediately, the following offices will be closed to the public and/or suspending walk-in service (please bear in mind that departments not listed here are still open to the public, at this time; however it is recommended that people conduct business with the County via phone and email to the extent possible, and to not visit any County offices in person if they are experiencing illness):



As a precautionary measure to help slow the spread of COVID-19, the Inyo County Clerk-Recorder’s Office will not be able to provide services for walk-in customers until further notice. Most, if not all, of our services are available through the mail or online at

 Agricultural Commissioner 

Offices will be closed to walk-in traffic only beginning immediately. At this point, the Ag Commissioner does not expect to reduce services, but will ask that Inyo and Mono County residents in need of assistance contact the office by phone at (760) 873-7860 or by email at [email protected]. This email is accessible by all of our employees and as such is the best option we have for general inquiries. If there is a business transaction that requires a face-to-face meeting, staff can accommodate individuals by appointment by contacting  the office  at the phone or email previously provided.

Inspection activities will continue with some small mitigations put in place to help reduce exposure, such as delaying retail fuel meter inspections unless a complaint is filed (gas pumps are dirty), wearing additional personal protective equipment, and doing inspections that have less exposure to the public.


Eastern Sierra Department of Child Support 

The Eastern Sierra Department of Child Support, effective immediately, will cease all genetic testing and has closed the Mammoth Lakes satellite office until May 1, 2020.  

Planning Department

Offices will be closed to walk in traffic only immediately.  Members of the public may still drop off applications at the office. There will be an inbox placed by the main door. We ask that everything be placed securely in an envelope, so checks aren’t sitting out. The Planning Department will also work with customers on delaying or finding another way to submit payment. They can also scan and U. S. mail or email applications: P. O. Drawer L, Independence, CA 93526 at [email protected].

Staff will be answering the phones and responding to emails. The department’s main phone number is (760)878-0263. Additional information and application requirements can be found on the County website at:

Public Works Independence Office 

The Public Works Department is located in the Annex Building in Independence. Offices will be closed to walk- in traffic only immediately. The primary services provided are:

Water Systems

Water Systems Payments and Billing Questions (Lone Pine, Independence and Laws) – Customers can make payments utilizing a drop box that is located by the Public Works entrance door located at 168 N. Edwards Street in Independence, CA.  Please do not drop cash into the mailbox.  Money orders as of now are available at banks and the Post Office. Lone Pine Library will be closed until further notice; if  customers utilize the drop box at the library for water payments, please mail payments to Inyo County Water Systems, P.O. Drawer Q, Independence, CA 93526, use the drop box located in Independence, or pay your bill online at Please feel free to give us a call at (760) 878-0201 and we can answer any questions you may have.

Water Systems Operations (service leak, service shut-off, service turn-on)

During normal business hours Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, if you need to report a leak or have your service turned on/off, please call the following numbers and we will be happy to assist you. Call the main office line at (760) 878-0201 or Katie Paterson at (760) 878-0208. For reporting leaks after hours, please call the on-call number at (760) 937-1874.

 Permits and Map Checks

Permit applications can be found online at If you have any questions or need assistance, please feel free to give us a call at (760) 878-0201.  Staff will be answering the phones and responding to emails. The department main phone number is (760) 878-0201. Updated information can be located on the County website at

 Public Works – Building and Safety 

The Inyo County Building Department office is located at the City of Bishop’s City Hall. Offices are closed to walk in traffic only immediately. Operations will continue to serve the public by phone and/or appointment. Inspections will continue as usual by making requests via phone (760 873-7857). Plans can be dropped off by appointment by contacting Tyson or James.

If you need assistance please call:

Cindy Truelsen – (760)873-7857

Tyson Sparrow – (760)-873-3180

James Feeney – (760)873-7858

Please refer to the County’s website for updated information.

Public Works – Airports

Operations will continue as usual, however, the Bishop terminal building will be closed to the public. If you have any questions or need assistance please feel free to call Steve Loven at (760) 872-2971 or (760) 937-4017.



All Inyo County-Operated Campgrounds will be closed to camping only. Restrooms will remain open:

Campgrounds operated by Inyo County are:

  • Pleasant Valley
  • Baker Creek
  • Tinnemaha Creek
  • Taboose Creek
  • Independence Creek
  • Portuguese Joe
  • Diaz Lake

All County Library Branches will be closed to the public beginning immediately.

Below are lists of services that will not be available and services that will be available during the public closure.  


  • Walk in services, such as copies, internet, printing, book browsing, proctoring tests, etc.
  • In-person reference service
  • Physical access to Local History collection


  • Phone and internet reference, if the answer can be supplied verbally or by email.
  • Local history research requests, if the answer can be supplied verbally or by email. Patrons will be assisted in the use of our digitized resources, such as newspapers and documents, via telephone or email.
  • Renewal of material currently checked out by telephone or assisting patrons in the use of the integrated library system.
  • Readers advisory questions
  • Access to e-services such as Overdrive, Enki, and Kanopy (Kanopy has responded by making some films free during this time)

For assistance or more information, call (760) 878-0359.   

Eastern California Museum will be closed to the public beginning immediately. 


Please visit for information on access restrictions for the following locations:

Veteran Services Office  

Inyo County Animal Shelter  

Inyo County Sheriff’s Substations  

Inyo County Jail  

For updates and additional information, visit the following sites:

Discover more from Sierra Wave: Eastern Sierra News

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading