MLFD press release
Shortly after midnight on October 13, 2016, the Mammoth Lakes Fire and Police Departments, and Mono County Paramedics were dispatched to an alarm of water flowing from the automatic fire suppression system on the 3rd floor of the Main Lodge at Mammoth Mountain Ski Area (MMSA). Shortly before arriving, Mono County Dispatch relayed a message from MMSA Security that there was a moderate amount of smoke in the Cornice Café and that the fire sprinkler system had been activated.
When crews first arrived in the area of the café, the smoke layer was three feet down from the ceiling and there was a water spraying from a single sprinkler head in the vicinity of several display cases. Further investigation revealed that a fire from an electrical component within a display case had developed sufficient heat to activate the fire sprinkler head and the fire was contained to the display case. There was minimal damage to the wall behind the case and to the electrical outlet that served the display case.
As a result of the sprinkler activation, damage was held to a minimum, the fire was contained to the display case, and all firefighters had to do was ensure that the fire had not spread to the structural members behind the wallboard. Due to the minimal damage and since the lodge is closed for the season, repairs will be made and the lodge will be open for the start of the ski season without delay.
The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical and there were no injuries.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.