DEATH VALLEY, CA – A loud explosion rocked Stovepipe Wells Resort around 4:30am on Monday, March 8. The blast damaged concession employee housing. The resort in central Death Valley National Park is still providing full public services.
The explosion appears to have been caused by a propane leak. The investigation continues, but foul play is not suspected.
Park rangers provided emergency response and secured the scene. Fortunately, there were no injuries that required medical transport.
The explosion was centered in the staff laundry room. It caused substantial damage to the employee dormitory.
[The Old Stovepipe Wells Marker explains its name: This waterhole, only one in the sand dune area of Death Valley, was at the junction of two Indian trails. During the bonanza days of Rhyolite and Skidoo it was the only known water source on the cross-valley road. When sand obscured the spot, a length of stovepipe was inserted as a marker, hence its unique name.]