Traffic Advisory for the Week of 9/25/2023 – 9/29/2023
EASTERN KERN, INYO, and MONO COUNTIES – The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) announces the following project work and traffic impacts for the week of September 25 – September 29.
Work schedules are subject to change due to traffic incidents, weather, availability of equipment and/or materials, and/or construction-related issues.
· Cartago Traffic Switch – On U.S. 395 north of Cartago, northbound and southbound traffic has switched to temporary lanes north of Cartago. Traffic speeds are reduced to 45 MPH through the current alignment for driver safety. Drivers may experience short delays.
· State Route 190 Closure – Due to extensive damage from Tropical Storm Hilary, State Route 190 is closed from the junction with U.S. Highway 395 in Olancha to the junction with State Route 127 in Death Valley Junction.
· Topaz Lake Emergency Repair Project – On U.S. 395 approximately 1.9 miles south of the Nevada State Line, crews are realigning a 0.5-mile stretch of the road to repair winter storm damage Tuesday through Friday from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. There is one-way traffic control with a pilot car during work hours and a traffic light after work hours. Drivers may experience 20-minute delays.
· Conway Ranch Shoulders Project – On U.S. 395 between State Route 167 and just north of Conway Ranch Road near Mono City, crews are widening the shoulders, lengthening chain-up areas, installing lighting, and rehabilitating drainage infrastructure. Work is scheduled Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm. There will be one-way traffic control and drivers may experience 20-minute delays.
· CMS Board Construction – On U.S. 395, crews are installing new Changeable Message Signs at two locations:
- Approximately 1.5 miles south of the S. Landing Road overcrossing near Crowley.
- Near Huggans Lane just south of the junction with State Route 182 in Bridgeport.
Work is scheduled Wednesday and Thursday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, and on Friday from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm. One-way traffic control is scheduled during work hours at the Bridgeport location.
Projects on the state highway system with minimal or no delays:
Eastern Kern County
· Ridgecrest Sewer Replacement – On State Route 178 E between Gemstone Street and French Avenue, crews will replace a sewer line Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm. Drivers could experience brief delays due to intermittent and turn lane closures.
· Kern Digouts and Slab Replacement Project – Construction crews will perform digouts and replace slabs on the following highways:
- – State Route 58 from just east of Twenty Mule Team Road to 0.3 miles west of Borax Road
- – State Route 14 from Purdy Avenue to 0.7 miles north of Silver Queen Road
Work is scheduled Monday through Friday, 24 hours a day. One lane will remain open. Drivers may experience short delays.
· Rosamond Xeriscape Project – On State Route 14 at the Rosamond Boulevard overcrossing, crews are nearly finished placing gravel mulch and hydroseeding. Travelers should slow and move over for crew safety.
· Olancha Shoulder Closures – On U.S. 395 at the junction with State Route 190 in Olancha, there will be intermittent shoulder closures to allow trucks access to deliver material Tuesday through Friday from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
· Sonora Pass Guardrail Replacement – On State Route 108 between the winter closure gate near the Marine Corps Mountain Training Center and the junction with U.S. 395, guardrail work has been suspended.
· State Route 203 Sewer Installation- On State Route 203 between Manzanita Road and Old Mammoth Road at Center Street, crews will install a new sewer line on Monday through Friday between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm. Delays will be minimal as access will be available as installation progresses across/under the highway. Travel safely through the work zone.
· U.S. 395 Utility Work- On the U.S. 395 southbound at the on-ramp from State Route 203, a shoulder closure will allow utility crews to work Tuesday through Friday between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm.
· State Route 203 Utility Work- On State Route 203 between View Point Road and Millers Siding, Wednesday and Thursday from 8:00 am to noon, there will be a lane closure for electrical work.
The Conway Ranch Shoulders Project received $8.3 million from IIJA.
The $3,101,500 Kern Digouts and Slab Replacement Project are funded by SB 1.
SB 1, the Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017, provides $5 billion in transportation funding annually split between the state and local agencies. Road projects progress through construction phases more quickly based on the availability of SB 1 funds, including projects that are partially funded by SB 1. For more information about other transportation projects funded by SB 1, visit http://rebuildingca.ca.
Under IIJA, California will receive an estimated $41.9 billion over 5 years. IIJA provides significant funding to Caltrans to improve roadways, bridges, freight projects, public transportation, and safety, and to address climate change. For more information about IIJA, visit http://rebuildingca.ca.gov/
Travelers are asked to be attentive to workers on the highway, slow for the cone zone, and move over whenever possible to give additional clearance. Be Safe and Be Work Zone Alert!
Follow us for the latest information on Facebook (Caltrans District 9), Twitter (@Caltrans9), and Instagram (@Caltransd9), or email us at [email protected]. To assist in planning your commute, view live traffic conditions using QuickMap at http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/.