Bishop residents must register for short-term rentals

News release

Bishop residents who intend to provide short-term rentals have to register with the city by January 1st, 2018, according to an ordinance adopted by the City Council.

To be in compliance with the city, hosts of short-term rentals — which include rentals of any portion of a dwelling for lodging for 30 days or less — must enroll by January 1 or else face penalties.

The ordinance, which was passed by City Council in August, also requires that
short-term rental hosts pay transient occupancy taxes, Bishop Tourism Improvement District fees, a $150.00 annual application fee, and obtain a City of Bishop business license.

The ordinance is in part an effort to prevent long-term housing units from being converted into short-term rentals. Hosts will only be allowed to operate a short term rentals at the property owners primary residence.

According to the ordinance, hosts will also be expected to notify neighbors when they establish a short-term rental, as part of the measure’s effort to protect neighborhoods from potential nuisances associated with short-term rentals.

The ordinance limits the number of guests that may be accommodated in a short term rental and requires on-site parking for all guests.

Short term rental permits must be renewed annually, and the City reserves the right to impose conditions on the permit to prevent the property from becoming a nuisance to neighbors.

The permit can be revoked if the short term rental is operating in violation of the ordinance, if the operator neglects to remit taxes or fees, or if the property becomes a nuisance.

Applications to rent with the City can be obtained at City Hall or at the City of Bishop website at

For additional information, please contact the City of Bishop
Planning Department at (760) 873-8458, or at [email protected], or at the City Hall offices at 377 West Line Street, Bishop, CA 93514.


3 Responses to Bishop residents must register for short-term rentals

  1. p ite November 28, 2017 at 11:36 am #

    how are they going to police this, 24 hour going door to door, this is a joke, better hire more law enforcement

  2. sugarmags November 28, 2017 at 9:16 am #

    Flawed thinking. Agreed that we don’t want entire units of housing stock rented for short term rentals instead of permanent housing for residents. BUT, people who want to make a little extra money by renting out bedrooms to short term renters should be OK…without the cost of a business license etc. Those bedrooms wouldn’t be on the longterm market anyway. There’s a big difference between someone in your house a couple of weekends a month and someone living there with all their stuff every friggin day.
    I’d say the council screwed up on this one. Let people make a some extra money using what is often their only asset (their house). The fees will wipe out most of their profit.

  3. No Bad Days November 27, 2017 at 4:16 pm #

    “requires that
    short-term rental hosts pay transient occupancy taxes, Bishop Tourism Improvement District fees, a $150.00 annual application fee, and obtain a City of Bishop business license.”

    They are coming for every penny that they can get to feed their out of control Unfunded Liabilities.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.