Inyo County Emergency Services is working with local Fire Departments to provide free sandbags to residents and business owners in Inyo County.
Free sandbags for flood preparedness are available at the following locations:
Ø Bishop Fire Station, 209 W. Line Street, April 25, 8:00am-5:00pm (closed noon to 1:00)
Ø Big Pine Fire Station, 181 N. Main Street, April 24, 7:00pm-9:00pm
Ø Independence Fire Station, 200 S. Jackson Street, April 24 6:00pm-8:00pm
Ø Lone Pine Fire Station, 130 N. Jackson Street, May 4 and May 25, 9:00am-5:00pm
Ø Olancha Fire Station, any Thursday 6:00pm-7:30pm
Sandbags are unfilled and quantities given to any individual will be at the discretion of the local Fire Chief; additional sandbags can be purchased from local businesses.
Free sand for filling sandbags is stockpiled at the following locations:
– Back of the Bishop City Park near the Senior Center
– Bishop Fire Station 2, West Line Street (west of Manor Market)
– Bishop Fire Station 3, SeeVee and U.S. Highway 395
– Starlite Community Park
– Intersection of Pine Creek and Old Sherwin
Ø BIG PINE
– Big Pine Fire Station
– Birch Creek Road and Tinnemaha
– Inyo County Sheriff’s Facility, Clay Street
– Inyo County Road Department, Mazourka Road
Ø LONE PINE
– Sand trap on Whitney Portal Road (west of the LA Aqueduct)
– Olancha Fire Department
Take action now to be prepared for spring 2019 runoff. Make sure you are signed up with CodeRED through the Inyo County Sheriff’s Office, update your emergency supply kit, and evaluate your flood insurance needs.