You were probably hoping (as were all of us) that there would be no taxes this year because of—you know—the Covid-19 pandemic. But as the well-known saying goes: “The only thing certain in life is death and taxes,” a quote that goes back for at least three centuries. Even one of our nation’s founding fathers, Benjamin Franklin, used the quote in a letter to friend just after the U.S. Constitution was written and passed in 1789.
Stepping into the breach, should you find that you could use a little help on preparing your taxes, is the AARP Foundation. Sierra Wave received the following information from the AARP Foundation to the community offering help with your taxes. It’s free…unlike taxes. And it can save you money…always a good thing:
It is that time of year again. The AARP Foundation Tax Aide programs in Bishop and Mammoth Lakes using IRS-certified volunteers prepare federal and state tax returns online without charge to low- and moderate-income residents.
For safety concerns and to follow current gathering restrictions, we will be doing a drop off method to get your tax returns completed. In Bishop, we will be working out of the Bishop Senior Center (682 Spruce Street-look for our flag). To learn more and schedule an appointment, call (760) 938-0468.
We encourage all taxpayers to file early even if they potentially owe money as those payments are not due until April 15th, regardless of when they file their tax return.
What to bring when you visit our Tax-Aide site:
- Social security cards or ITIN documents for yourself and your dependents
- Picture ID
- Tax statements; W-2 forms, 1099-G (unemployment), SSA-1099, 1099-R, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-MISC, broker statements, etc.
- If you have insurance through Covered California, you must bring federal form 1095-A and state form 3895
- If direct deposit desired, bring account information (routing and acct no)
- Copy of last year’s income tax return (if available)
- Child care provider information (name, employer’s SSN or EIN & phone)