On January 2, 2019, Annette Mahan walked her son up the stairs that night, gave him a kiss and told him she loved him. Danny Mahan, just days after leaving a Prescott, Arizona drug-rehab center, was home and told by his mother “not to do anything stupid.” The next morning Danny’s Dad, Terry Mahan, found Danny lying on the floor of his bedroom. Despite a quick response from the paramedics and two doses of Narcan, it was too late. 21-year old Danny was dead; another victim of the opioid crisis that has taken teens and young adults across America in epidemic proportions.
According to the National Center of Health Statistics at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, drug overdose deaths have seen a huge increase since the early 2000s. The sharpest increase was seen in deaths related to opioids and fentanyl. The National Institute on Drug Abuse reports a 12.9-fold increase from 2007 to 2017 and 68% of those deaths were males.
Now Annette and Terry Mahan are trying to save others from experiencing a traumatic death of a child due to opioid use and abuse. After extensive research trying to come to grips with Danny’s death, Terry is just beginning to talk about the issue. Starting first with an article about Danny in the Arizona Republic newspaper and then his initial public appearance here in Bishop. Terry is coming to Bishop Union High School this month to speak to students and parents about the dangers of opioids and the specific risk of fentanyl overdose.
The Opioid Overdose Crisis
Tuesday, April 16
6:30 pm-8:00 pm
Carl Lind Boardroom located in the Bronco Student Center
Bishop Union High School
Terry Mahan has a new mission in his life. He is compelled to raise awareness and to help others not experience what he calls the “hole in your gut.”
Bishop Police Department Sergeant Ron Gladding will share a presentation about the opioid epidemic after Terry’s presentation.
For more information about this event, call Bishop Union High School at 760-873-4275 or Inyo County Office of Education at 760-872-3262
[pdf-embedder url=”http://sierrawave.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/azcentral.com-Family-opens-up-about-overdose-of-former-Chandler-High-football-player.pdf” title=”azcentral.com-Family opens up about overdose of former Chandler High football player”]