Be Bear Smart and “Don’t Feed Our Bears”
Over the next several weeks watch for the “MLPD Bear Beat” providing information on bear activity in the Town of Mammoth Lakes and steps you can t take to be Bear Safe. A few highlights:
– Our bears know how to open unlocked car doors! Keep yours locked.
– Our bears have a great sense of smell. Make sure all scented items are removed from your car (food, toiletries, coolers, garbage etc.) and secure all garbage containers.
– Bears have been seen eating out of a cooking pot. Remember that it is illegal to feed wildlife.
– Bears will tip over, climb into, or pull garbage out of unlocked trash bins looking for food. Eating garbage (plastics, pager etc.) is not healthy for our bears. Please lock your bins.
Snow Grooming of 1.2 Miles of Trail in the Sherwins Meadow Approved
The Mammoth Ranger District has approved the continuation of a pilot program to provide a groomed trail this coming winter in the Sherwins. The 1.2 miles of trail begins at the Sherwins Trail Head (Propane Tanks). The groomed winter trail will be 8-12 feet in wide providing space for a Nordic Track, skate skiers, snowshoers and walkers. A minimum of 12 inches of snow is required for grooming operations.
EIR Certified for Work at Mammoth Yosemite Airport
The Environmental Impact Report was certified by the Town Council on October 6th for planned work at the Mammoth Yosemite Airport. The initial project is the construction of a building to house our Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting (ARFF) equipment and Snow Removal Equipment (SRE). The FAA is finalizing the NEPA Environmental Assessment. We will apply for FAA grant funding for the project once the environmental work is complete.
Parks and Recreation Introduces New Fall Programs
– Haunted Skate Party at the RecZone – save the date for Friday, October 29 from 5-8pm.
– Fall Bike Squad – Five after school bike sessions for 1st – 2nd graders and 3rd to 5th graders.
– Sleep Well Tonight Class – Toddler Fitness Class for ages 2 – 4 scheduled every Tuesday from 5:00 – 5:45pm beginning September 28 and ending on October 26.
– Skate to Ski! – Introduction to inline skating and how it will help your skiing skills on October 16 from 10:00am-1:00pm at the RecZone.
– Guided Full Moon Hike – Join Parks and Rec on October 20 at 6:15pm for this family adventure as we explore the sights, smells, and sounds of the eastern sierra on a guided full moon night hike.
Register online or call (760) 965-3690.